Thursday 1 March 2012

Dealing with Acne: MAC Studio Finish Concealer

MAC Studio Finish Concealer

As I have mentioned many times, I have suffered with acne and bad skin for a good few years now. My breakouts haven’t been as bad lately, but I still have the odd breakout, and a whole bunch of scars from old ones that I want to cover up. This series of posts will be about how I deal with acne, acne can really knock your confidence, and I know what it’s like to not want to leave the house because of it, or have breakouts so painful that I can’t sleep. I hope you find these posts useful.

Now if your suffering from acne or the pigmentation it often leaves behind, the chances are your a big fan of concealer. I have tried a lot of different concealers, from cheap to quite pricey and both solid and liquid formulas.

MAC Studio Finish is a solid concealer which is full coverage, and will cover pretty much anything. As with all MAC concealers it comes in a great range of shades and undertones, it also has an SPF of 35 – great if you suffer with pigmentation.

I’ve recently switched to using lighter coverage foundations – namely Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, so I really need my concealer to work hard and stay put all day. I find with Studio Finish so long as it has been set properly with powder it won’t budge, smudge or fade.

I apply this with my Real Techniques Detailer Brush, and pat it on to the skin, and then buff the edges with a Sigma P80 (the flat top mini kabuki) and then pat some powder on top using a powder puff. When using concealer I find it is a lot better to use a Powder Puff with your powder, rather than a brush, as a brush will move the concealer. I pat a generous amount of powder on the areas I have concealed and the get rid of any excess using a Japonesque Powder Brush.

I really like this concealer, it never feels heavy on my skin, and it hasn’t broke me out. I find it really reliable, and know it will cover whatever I throw at it!

Do you suffer with acne? How do you cope with it?

MAC Studio Finish Concealer is available in store or online and costs £13.50

18 comments:

  1. Also love this one - I'm a NW20, and it really will cover absolutely anything. I get big red pressure lines on my face in the morning because of my CPAP machine (sleep apnea...) and this completely covers them. I don't have a tattoo to test this on, but I'd be fairly confident it could cover them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried this on my tattoo, and it doesn't cover it completely but it's agood starting point!
      x

      Delete
  2. I've yet to try any MAC concealors but I want to try something new soon so I might give this a go :) I look forward to these posts :) I get a fair bit of acne but my main problem is the pigmentation left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle more with the pigmentation as well. I find it so much harder to cover!
      x

      Delete
  3. I really want to try this concealer now.

    Great review :)

    Laura xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your take on this. I may dig my pots out again, I have NC20 and NC30, and I mix them to get to my desired shade...which is somewhere around NC25 lol! They were out of NC25 when I wanted to buy it, and the lovely SA at the MAC in Leicester in Debenhams INSISTED that I was an NC30 even though it looked far too dark and yellow on me. I suppose I bought it because she was a bit scary.

    Anyway, I digress. Will get them out again! I couldn't be bothered with them since using Double Wear because it conceals most of my hyperpigmentation quite nicely without need for extra. Like you I'm trying to use a thinner, lighter foundie and just conceal the parts that need concealer. The only problem with that is that it takes me longer in the morning, whereas painting the whole face with DW was quicker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take longer, but for me I find it lasts longer (which is odd as DW is supposed to be long lasting).
      I was at the MAC counter in Leics on Saturday with my mum, the SAs all needed a visit from the Blusher police, they all had bright pink/orange stripes! Looked ridiculous!

      Delete
  5. I've had this concealer for a few months now, and it really does cover everything! It took me ages to convince myself to pay the £13.50 for it, but it's totally worth it. Especially because you literally need nothing to cover practically your whole face! Hahaa :')xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my last one of these lasted well over a year of everyday use! They're pretty much neverending!
      x

      Delete
  6. Ive had this concealer for nearly a year now, been using it everyday and still havent got half way through it, so impressed!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lasts for ages doesn't it! Definitely worth the money, high street concealers never seem to last as long, or cover as well!
      x

      Delete
  7. I use this too, definitely worth the money! It covers everything, I use it to cover scarring too and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a bad patch of acne scarring on my chin and it covers it really well
      x

      Delete
  8. Curious to try this! My skin is so bad though I just need an ultra thick foundation, I'd use SO much concealer!!

    I also have a giveaway here, 3rd post down! :)
    http://fridayisforever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that initially, but once I tried it I didn't need to cover as much as I thought! And the rest of my skin looked better, without so much coverage
      x

      Delete
  9. I've been meaning to try this forever so must get around to it... I like the idea of it being long lasting as so many concealers are not.

    Nic x

    http://www.strawberryblondebeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the Vichy Dermablend foundation sticks, tried those today and they lasted amazingly. A bit more drying than the MAC though!
      x

      Delete