Wednesday 26 October 2011

Recipe Time: Scones

DSC_2118

I bought Rachel Allen’s Bake! last week, and I’ve been dying to try out some of the recipes. I getting a little tired of Cupcakes, so I had a go at making some classic, plain scones. They’re really easy and cheap to make and are really great when they’re still warm with some (real!) butter and jam. The recipe says it makes 10-12, but I think I rolled them a little thin, so it made about 18.

500g Plain Flour

1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda

2tsp Cream of Tartar

1tsp Salt

125g Unsalted Butter( cold, cubed)

25g Caster Sugar

1 Egg, beaten

275ml Milk

1. Preheat the Oven to 220oC/Gas Mark 7

2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda,salt and cream of tartar into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter with the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix well.

3. Set aside about a third of the beaten egg, and combine the rest with the milk, then add this to the flour moisture, and mix briefly.

4.Place onto a floured surface, and knead to bring the ingredients together, and roll out to about 2cm thickness.

5. Using a cutter, cut out the scones and place onto a floured baking tray. Add a drop of milk to the remainder of the egg, and brush onto the scones.

6.Bake for 10-12 minutes, eat!

For anyone who likes baking I really suggest you pick up Rachel Allen’s book, its full of great, cakes, bread and meal recipes.

2 comments:

  1. I love Rachel Allen's recipies, i have one of her cookbooks but can't remember what it is called - but her books are one of my faves, so easy to follow! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing - I love scones!

    ReplyDelete